Sunday, February 12, 2012

Help me choose a book to buy tonight?

There is not a lot of books that are "popular" as of now that I haven't read. So, I'm finding it kind of tough to pick a book online that I would actually like...I want to a read a fictional book with a love interest and I would prefer for it to have a mythical or fantasy-like setting. I want a book with a really deep romance but a lot of action too. I like stories that have the romantic aspect but that's not necessarily the main plot? I dint know. %26lt;-- This is why I'm having such a problem ;)



Ill put down some of the books I like and some that I haven't enjoyed too much to give you an idea of my preferences :)



Book I like :D

Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris

Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (yeah, i know.)

Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare

Battle Royale by Some reallllly long name

Hunger Game Series by Suzanne Collins

Graceling and Fire by Kristen Cashore

Lord of the Rings by JR Tolkien



Books that were alright :)

Immortal Series by Emily Noel

Ophelia by Lisa Klein

His Dark Materials by (cant remember)

Eragon Series by (cant remember)



Books that I didn't find that great :/

Night World by LJ Smith

Gone Series by Michael Grant

Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith

Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler



I also don't really like books by Nicholas Sparks or Sarah Dessen just because there isn't a mythical aspect. I like their style of writing but that's just not what I'm looking for to read. AND PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST Vampire Kisses or Vampire Academy or anything weird like that just because I liked Twilight!



Thanks in advance ;)Help me choose a book to buy tonight?
As a fellow fan of HP and the Hunger Games series (best. series. ever), I'm going to recommend Vampire Academy. I know you said not to, but I really think you're missing out on something here. I probably would never have even read The Hunger Games if it weren't for Richelle Mead - author of the Vampire Academy series. VA is the best thing I've ever read and even my sister who *hates* reading loved it. :D



I bought the first book in the Vampire Academy series randomly one day without knowing anything about the series. I didn't even think it would be any good because I judged the book by it's cover (the old cover) and thought it was just teen trash. I didn't even read it until a few weeks later. I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!! I had to go out and get the next two books the very next day and spent the rest of that week devouring them both.



Synopsis:

Vampire Academy is about a girl named Rose Hathaway who is a dhampir - half vampire, half human - and she is training to become a guardian after high school. Her best friend, Lissa, is a Moroi princess and the last of her royal bloodline. Lissa must be protected from the Strigoi, the undead vampires that hunt Moroi vampires. Moroi vampires are mortal vampires that wield elemental magic (earth, air, fire, water). Rose is the ideal person to become Lissa's guardian because they have a bond - Rose can sometimes slip into her head and see and feel everything she does. If Lissa was in danger, Rose would know immediately. Rose *must* graduate if she wants a chance at sticking with Lissa after high school. The trouble is, Rose has a hard enough time just staying in school. Not to mention that her hot mentor is increasingly becoming a distraction...



You said you wanted "a book with a really deep romance but a lot of action too". I truly think Vampire Academy is something that fits your criteria. There's a deep, deep romance in VA, but it is also not the only main focus of the series. It's not quite a subplot but it's not the only major thing either. VA is kind of set in a world hidden from mortal eyes though it's right in front of them, but the characters emerge into the human world from time to time. And the main character is this badass girl who is training to become the protector of her best friend. She's got a lot of attitude. It may seem like she's really shallow at first, but she's actually the most loyal and compassionate one in the story. In a lot of ways, she's like Katniss from HG. I think that may be why I love both of these series as much as I do!! Or maybe I just have a thing for books about tough girls with soft hearts. :)



You can read the first chapter at Richelle Mead's official website. Just give it a chance. If you don't love it, then forget I said anything.

http://www.richellemead.com/excerpt/exce鈥?/a>

More about the books:

http://www.richellemead.com/books/vampir鈥?/a>



**************************

Here are some YA books (paranormal/fantasy) I have read that I think you might be interested in:



*Generation Dead by Daniel Waters (zombies) - I love Adam!!

*Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (witches) - pretty good; looking forward to the sequel

*The Dark Divine by Bree Despain - loved everything about Daniel and Grace :D

*Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (werewolves/shapeshifters) - it was meh for me, but a lot of people seem to like it

*Voices of Dragons by Carrie Vaughn - LOVED IT!!



If you're looking for something more *adult*......



I highly HIGHLY recommend Richelle Mead's Succubus series as well as her Dark Swan series. They are both awesome. Georgina Kincaid is a succubus and Eugenie Markham is a tough shaman who battles and banishes Otherworldly creatures. They are very different stories from VA, but I have noticed that all of RM's series share many of the same elements: The hot guys. The mystery. Sex (lots of it). Love. Heartache. Sarcasm. Seductive fairy kings. Lots and lots of action. Oh and did I mention the seductive fairy kings? ;)



You can read more about Richelle Mead's books at her official website. There are first chapter excerpts of all of her books there as well.

http://www.richellemead.com/books/books.鈥?/a>



The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward is one of my new favorite obsessions. :P It's about sexy vampire warriors. Nuff said right? ;)

http://www.jrward.com/bdb/index-books.ht鈥?/a>
Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong

Discworld series by Terry PratchettHelp me choose a book to buy tonight?
I came in here to suggest Hunger Games or Graceling but I see you've read them! You've read and liked pretty much all the same as I have... Two that you don't have that I loved are:



Uglies by Scott Westerfield (series)

and

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray (series)



Both GREAT series that have love interests but they don't overwhelm the book like in Twilight. I would also suggest The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It isn't fantasy or anything, but it's such an amazing story and so well written! Definitely in my top books! Good luck!
Sunshine by Robin McKinley, also the Black Jewels books by Anne Bishop, The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass



His Dark Materials ( The Golden Compass, et al) is by PullmanHelp me choose a book to buy tonight?
Not sure if it's too much like Twilight, but I'm really enjoying the House of Night series. It starts with the book Marked and there are some really cool characters and some twists and turns I never expected. I'm not sure if it's like Vampire Academy, but it doesn't even matter they're vampires - I'm loving them.



Another really cool book was The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong. It's about a girl who can see ghosts, then she meets some other special kids and it has some truly creepy, intense and involving moments.



Hope that gives you some ideas!
Try the Parthalon Series by PC Cast
Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole

(first book = A Hunger Like No Other) - vampires, werewolves, demons, valkyrie, witches, etc..



Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

(first book = Night Pleasures) - greek/atlantean myth aspects, vampires



Highlander/Druid series and Fever series by Karen Marie Moning

(first Highlander book= Beyond the Highland Mist) - highlanders/druids, fae

(first Fever book= Darkfever) - druids, fae/sidhe, magic, end of the world stuff



Aisling Grey/Dragon series by Katie MacAlister

(first book= You Slay Me) - dragons, otherworld, magic



Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter

(first book = The Darkest Night) - greek myths, magic



Hope this helps :)
A little different for you:

Gossip Girl series- Cecily von Ziegesar

The It Girl series- same

The A-List series- Zoey Dean

LA Candy- Lauren Conrad
  • sigalert san diego
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment