Saturday, February 18, 2012

How do civilian prescriptions transfer to military pharmacies?

I just married a soldier, and we are enrolling me in Tricare in the morning. I am wondering what to do about my prescriptions - I have a years worth of refills on one of them. Will I need to get a new prescription from a military doctor or is there a way to transfer my previous prescription from a civilian pharmacy?How do civilian prescriptions transfer to military pharmacies?Welcome to the Army! When I married my soldier I had a really smooth transition with my prescriptions (but I was nervous at first too). Once I got my military ID card I brought that into my pharmacy along with TRICARE's number and they just switched everything in the computer to be billed to my new insurance. One of my prescriptions which was $150 a month went down to $22 and most others are as low as $3! I love it.



I don't know how it works to transfer existing prescriptions to a military pharmacy... but it might be worth it (depending on your situation) to stay with your current pharmacy and just switch your insurance billing info to TRICARE since you already have a years worth of refills. Otherwise you might have to go to your primary care doctor to get new prescriptions, but then the prescriptions might be free through the military pharmacy depending on what it is... That's a toss up! Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!How do civilian prescriptions transfer to military pharmacies?Your cannot transfer civilian prescriptions or your doctor cannot call them in like a regular pharmacy. Have your doctor that you have been seeing write them all on a prescriptions pad and then you can take them to military pharmacy. Make sure he marks the box that denotes generic brands as many places now use them. You might still have to see a military doctor for some of the drugs you use as the military has a list of drugs that they issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment